Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Family Jewels

The CIA has taken several steps to ensure the safety of our country. But are their steps really necessary and do their actions lead to more safety or to more chaos? For me, I believe we are safe, is that because our security has taken steps to ensure that I feel this way, or because there really are no threats. Doubtful, there are many threats out there, and our security is taking steps to make sure that we as a nation do not just feel safe but are safe. But are there consequences to such a forboding task? Yes there are...I believe we have to be aware of what we are doing, and if we are willing to inflict harm and everlasting pain on others for information. (And is this information going to benefit us greatly?) If yes, like the example in class about an ambush on her brother-in-laws group, then yes, I would be willing to accept the consequences of gaining information from that individual to protect my family. But how do we know if they really have information? I guess like Colby's # 6 we barge in and do all necessary to gain the information or bring out some evidence. But the line is hard to draw...the question that continues to run in my head is: do we end up saving lives or destroying a life in our pursuit of safety?

No comments: